MINDEN & DISTRICT HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY GENERAL MEETING
TUESDAY JULY 4th 2017

GUEST SPEAKER: Nancee Adams, President of the Orillia Horticultural Society, conducted a workshop on making cement planters, prior to the meeting. At the meeting she explained to those in attendance how to make a planter and other garden ornaments from cement.

REFRESHMENT BREAK (Garden Show exhibitors’ numbers and entry tags where available )

MASTER GARDENER: Liz Case explained what Master Gardeners do and told about their new website.

CALL TO ORDER: The Chair called the meeting to order at 8:30 pm and welcomed all.

LOCATION: Minden Community Centre

CHAIR: President, Karen Shirley

ATTENDANCE: There were 47 in attendance tonight and Nancy reported that our membership is now at 98.

MINUTES: Moved by Sandria Garry & Seconded by Elinor Kernohan “That the minutes of the June 6th General Meeting be adopted as amended”
CARRIED

FINANCIAL REPORT: Frances reported that the current balance in our operating account is $4961.20.
Moved by Frances Thivierge & Seconded by Elizabeth Carrell “That the financial report be accepted”
CARRIED

COMMITTEE REPORTS

ADVERTISING – Committee Chair, Melanie Hevesi was not in attendance but reported to the President that all advertising for the Garden Show and for our regular meetings is in place.

COMMUNITY GARDENS – Committee Chair, Anne Brown thanked all members who turned out to plant the town in June and township staff who repaired the river bank gardens after the flood. The gardens and barrels are coming along in spite of all the rain. She asked that members continue to weed, dead head and report any problems to her.

Karen Shirley thanked Irene Alexander and Kelly Schollig for helping her start the pollinator garden near the Trappers Crossing bridge.

EXCURSIONS – Committee Chair, Susan Shehan reported that there are two or three openings left for our excursion on July 27th. The cost is $15.00 and we will go rain or shine. Driving directions will be provided to those who are taking cars.

FLOWER SHOW – Committee Chair, Michelle Lewis reminded members that our Garden Show is Aug 11th and 12th . Volunteers will be needed to help decorate and set up tables on Thurs 9th . She also requested that members lend planters and vegetables and other suitable items for decoration. Clip boards were circulated for members to sign up for working at the show and donating pies.

LIBRARY – Isabel Janca drew our attention to books in our library about flower conditioning and arranging flowers. She also was compiling a list of people who wanted more information on making cement planters.

T-SHIRTS, CARDS, PINS – Elinor Kernohan reported that cards have been sent to Anne Brown and Nancy Garbutt.

VILLAGE GREEN – Liz Case thanked the members who have been maintaining the Village Green gardens. She asked for someone to be present at the Village Green when the Communities in Bloom judges visit on July 20th .

YOUTH PROGRAM – Committee Chair, Pat Johnson thanked the members of her committee for their work this year. The program is now complete for the year.

COMMUNITIES IN BLOOM – Thanks was given to some of our members who helped at the tent on Canada Day. Also thanks to members who donated articles for the baskets that were used for a free draw. The judges will be in town July 19th and 20th.

SPEAKERS – Liz Case & Cynthia will not be doing this job next year and are requesting two or three members to work with them this year and take over for 2018. The 2018 speakers need to be in place by the end of this year so they can be listed in the 2018 Year Book.

OHA, DISTRICT & OTHER MEETINGS

OHA Convention – Karen Shirley and Mary Jane Irwin will be attending the convention in Markham July 21st to 23rd.

District 4 Fall Seminar – will be held October 29th hosted by Lindsay Horticultural Society. All members are encouraged to attend.

CORRESPONDENCE

Sirch – thank you for participating in their butterfly release program. Karen Shirley released butterflies for the Society and provided information about pollinator gardens.
Environment Haliburton – informing of their guest speaker and inviting the Society to set up an information table at the event. Liz Case volunteered to seet up and man a table.

Hyland Crest – requesting help with their gardens
Hyland Crest Tea – The dates we can chose from to serve tea to the residents are August 10th, 24th, or 31st. Members able to help are asked to contact Anne Brown.
Cat Tails Workshop – to be hosted by Carolyn Langdon

OTHER BUSINESS

Conditioning and Containers – Rose Paliwoda and Barb Ballantyne will provide information at the August General Meeting in preparation for our Garden Show.
Book Marks/Post Cards – Sharon Ireland volunteered to order a supply so we have something to hand out with information about our society. She was invited to attend the July Board Meeting to discuss this in detail.

Door Prize – was won by Pat Johnson.

ADJOURNMENT – Moved by Kelly Schollig
“That the meeting be adjourned”

Leave a Reply