MINDEN & DISTRICT HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
March 3, 2015
TIME: 1:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Minden Hills Community Centre
CHAIR: Past-President, Liz Lilley-Case
ATTENDANCE: There were 32 in attendance.
- Welcome – Liz welcomed everyone and reminded all of the meeting format.
- Master Gardener – Pauline Plooard substituted for Eileen Hughes “Start Your Own Geraniums”
- Introduction of Speaker Cynthia Gilmore –Brent Cole (The Herb Guy) ‘Politics of Botanical Herbs’
- Refreshments – Liz thanked Julia Donnelly.
- Call to Order – Liz
- Additions to Agenda – none
- Minutes February General Meeting – Moved by Pauline Plooard that they be accepted as distributed & posted. Seconded by Anica Sabel. Passed.
- Financial Report – Moved by Karen Shirley that the Report for February has a balance of $2,464.15 be accepted as posted. Seconded by Izabel Janca. Carried.
Committee & Events Reports
- ADVERTISING – NA
- COMMUNITY GARDENS – Karen reported that the Canna lilies will be obtained from Brighton H.S. and that Margaret Hewings is now living with her daughter & Karen has the telephone number if you wish to call her.
- VILLAGE GREEN – Liz circulated a clipboard that members signed to care for the Village Green for 1 week after a clean-up blitz to occur before the planting date of June 8.
- EXCURSIONS – Liz circulated a clipboard for Susan Sheehan requesting members to volunteer their garden for a members’ tour this summer.
- FLOWER SHOW – Margaret Giles reported the date as Aug 7 & 8. The Flower Show insert was distributed. Anyone interested is welcome to join the Committee which will meet later in March.
- .ONTARIO JUDGING & EXHIBITING STANDARDS BOOK – Bob MacBrien will leave the booklets in the library and purchasers should give the money to Karen Shirley. A new book may be forthcoming.
- LIBRARY & BULLETIN BOARD – Izabel Janca described the new List of Books coded in colour (Green=General Gardening, Yellow=Perennials & Annuals, Blue=Native Plants, Orange=etcetera) Sign a book out by writing your name, date and Blue7 for example.
- T-SHIRTS & CARDS & PINS – Elinor Kernohan sent out 2 cards & sold 1 pin. There was interest in purchasing hoodies.
- WEBSITE – NA Minutes of the meetings will be posted there.
- PLANT SALE – Rose Paliwoda requested pots, plants of all kinds, potted with proper labels. She commented that the start time is 9:00 a.m. according to the Yearbook.
- YEARBOOK – Flower Show insert is now available.
- SALE OF BEE HOUSES – $20 or 2/$35 Karen Shirley will sell you one or more.
- SALE OF BULBS – Barb Mesner outlined the OHA fundraiser of spring bulbs. $7 per pkg. 50¢ per pkg goes to our Society.
OHA, District 4, & Other Meetings
- March 6-9 Home & Garden Show
- Canada Blooms – March 13 – 22 @ Direct Energy Centre
- March 14, District 4 Presidents & Executives Spring Get-Together, Auburn Bible Chapel, Peterborough
- April 2-4, Peterborough Garden Show – Liz will get advance tickets so members attending can go through the express entrance. Members who ordered the tickets (& others) should contact Liz.
- MDHS Executive Meeting will be on March 17 at the OPP Station.
Correspondence – None
-Thanks to Gus Janca for modifying the speaker system.
27. 2015 MEMBERSHIP- Sue Sisson reported it is currently 58.
- NEXT MEETING – April 7 at 1 pm, Minden Community Centre. Speaker Phil Spring on ‘Horticultural Therapy’
- DOOR PRIZE was won by Bob MacBrien, a Bee House
- ADJOURNMENT at 3:30 p.m. was moved by Liz and seconded by Karen Shirley.