MINDEN & DISTRICT HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING APRIL 1, 2014
Location: Minden Community Centre, Minden, Ontario
Chairperson: MJ Irwin
Attendance – 42
MJ called the meeting to order at 1:10 p.m. and welcomed all.
Master Gardener Marg Chambers spoke about Accessible Gardening – Tips and Tools. Many helpful hints were shared for those folks with physical limitations/ disabilities.
Cynthia Gilmore introduced the guest speaker, Sonia Wilson of “Berry Edible Landscapes”, Wilson’s Fresh Blueberries in Bobcaygeon. For more information contact www.wilsonsfreshblueberries.ca
Cynthia thanked the speaker and during our break enjoyed tasty refreshments.
- The Business meeting was called t order at 2:30 p.m.
- There were no additions to the Agenda
- MINUTES of the March 4, 2014 General Meeting were presented by Margaret Giles. Moved by Margaret and seconded by Sandria Garry that the minutes be accepted as circulated. CARRIED
- FINANCIAL REPORT was presented by Karen Shirley. The current Bank Balance is $1740.21. Moved by Karen and seconded by Elizabeth Carrell that the financial report be accepted as read. CARRIED
COMMITTEE & EVENTS REPORTS
- ADVERTISING – no report
- COMMUNITY GARDENS – Karen Shirley reported that the plants have arrived at Carey’s. She and Anne Brown met with Darren of Minden Hills township to co-ordinate the colours with the hanging baskets
- EXCURSIONS –
- FLOWER SHOW – We have our second judge.
- LIBRARY – Izabel Janca – All sections of the Library are colour coded for easy location
- PLANT SALE – Rose – Please save your pots, indoor plants are needed – May 24 at the Village Green
- T-SHIRTS & CARDS – T-shirt order was delivered and has been handed out. Some still to be picked up. Get well wishes have been sent to Marion Stickwood and Ed Paliwoda, A Sympathy card was sent to Eileen Hughes.
- WEBSITE –
- MEMBERSHIP – Nancy Garbutt – We had 2 new members join today. The membership is up to 69 (with approx. 15 new members this year!) A reminder that meetings move to the evening at 7:00 p.m. – Linda Kemp reminded old and new members to keep track of volunteer hours. Bob MacBrien has the Ontario Judging & Exhibiting Standards book available for any member that plans on participating in the Flower Show $6.50 each
OHA, DISTRICT 4 & OTHER MEETINGS
- District 4 AGM – April 5th in Norwood. MJ Irwin, Rose Paliwoda and Anica Sabel will attend
- District 4 Awards Celebration – June 11th – There will be a sign up sheet at the May general meeting
- OHA Convention – July 18 – 20 Cornwall, early bird deadline June 1st $125. or $140.
- District 4 Fall Seminar – October 25th
- District 4 Spring Get-Together – March 8th in Peterborough, Mary Jane Irwin and Rose Paliwoda attended.
Information re: upcoming D4 AGM
- any member who has Clematis book or Grafton Youth Program Outline, please return
bring bowl for craft activity
return trophy we won last year
supply Rose O. with flyers for our Flower Show to be given out at the Peterborough Garden Show
bring our Banner and Display – it needs updating
Guest Speaker, Helen Scutt of OMAFRA, under the Agriculture & Horticultural Organizations Act:
- our legal status is a Not-for-Profit Corporation
to maintain status – fulfill some of the 9 objectives
keep 50+ members
file annual returns
-Financial – A Society can have as much money in the bank as it wants (re grant)
– The amount of our GIC should be in the year end financial statement
– A Society may donate to any charity it wants but the amount is NOT an eligible expense
– We must use the report forms provided, including the Audit Certificate
Growing your membership, Cultivating Diversity
- dispel the idea that a person must be an expert gardener to join the Hort Society
strive for diversity & inclusion eg. Male & female, all age groups, all religions & ethnic backgrounds
BUT be aware that new members bring new ideas & CHANGE
support new members not intimidate them
when new members join give them a little gift eg. Seeds
give new members some small job to make them feel part of your group
- Omemee Hort Society – Garden Tour July 5th
- Environment Haliburton – April 2nd, discuss environmental concerns – Margaret & Elizabeth will attend
- D4 – Noxious Weed \list – milkweed removed & dog-strangling vine added
- Fenelon Falls Society – newsletter “Backyard Buzz” – If anyone is interested in doing a Newsletter for our Society, please let us know
- D4 – announcing Judging School for Ag & Hort members – Reply by April 30th – see MJ if you are interested
- Ont. Lily Society – invitation to join – see MJ
- Society Banner & Display – Izabel – needs pictures, ideas & help
- Humber Nurseries – 30% discount coupons
- Village Green Plan – Master Gardeners drew up the plan – the executive approved – will be implemented. We have applied for the OHA Grant to be applied to the Village Green , should hear this Saturday. There has been a meeting with the Township, they are requesting a formal written agreement for all our activities on Township property. We are still waiting to have approval for the planting of the two memorial trees ( Hancocks & Lorna Roland). The Three Sisters Garden is now half the former size at the Cultural Centre. As the Township is now sponsoring the Flower Show, we have the hall free of charge.
- Tomato Orders – e-mail Suzie Babany directly – she will be at the June meeting
- D4 Newsletter – Diane Westlake requesting submissions
- Tickets are available for the Peterborough Garden Show
- Ruth MacBrien won the Door Prize
- Motion to Adjourn by Karen Shirley at 3:10 pm
PLEASE NOTE THE MAY 6TH MEETING IS AT 7:00 PM
MINDEN COMMUNITY CENTRE