MINDEN & DISTRICT HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
Minutes of the General Meeting February 1, 2014
Location: Our lady of Fatima Catholic Church, Minden, Ontario
Chairperson: Melanie Hevesi
- Melanie welcomed everyone at 12:30 p.m.; Introduced the Head Table, Nancy Hinton, Guest Speaker, Margaret Giles, Secretary, Jean Neville, Councillor, Township of Minden Hills, Karen Shirley, Treasurer and Melanie Hevesi, Co-President; Welcomed the new Directors, Anica Sabel, Linda Kemp, Linda Ross and Rich Hevesi.
- O Canada
- Grace was said by Elizabeth Carrell
- A Pot Luck Lunch was enjoyed by all.
- Cynthia Gilmore introduced the Guest Speaker Nancy Hinton from Peterborough. Nancy’s topic was Indoor Plants which included a display of her personal house plants and much information regarding their care.
- Cynthia thanked Nancy and gave her a gift on behalf of the Society.
- The Business meeting was called to order at 2:25 p.m.
- MINUTES of the Oct.1, 2013 General Meeting were presented by Margaret Giles. Moved by Margaret and seconded by Barb Millington that the minutes be accepted as circulated. CARRIED
- FINANCIAL REPORT was presented by Karen Shirley. The Bank Balance as at January 31, 2014 was $662.97. Moved by Karen and seconded by Bob MacBrien that the report be accepted as read. CARRIED
- Community Gardens: Karen Shirley, 2014 gardens will be mostly purple, yellow and white with splashes of red. Five tenders went out to Garden Centres in the county, four submitted, all were within $150.00 of each other. This year we will be going with Carey’s.
- Flower Show: no report at this time
- Excursions: Susan Sheehan, Susan has tickets for the Peterborough Flower Show in April, $7.00, After a show of hands, it was established there was not enough interest in a trip to Canada Blooms/ Home Show in Toronto to hire a bus. Lindsay and Bracebridge have Garden Tours and Flower Shows, please let Susan know if you are interested. An information/ survey sheet was distributed to assist in future planning of trips.
- Plant Sale: Rose Paliwoda, Please save pots and offer plants for the sale.
- Speakers: Liz Case, no report
- Well Wishes: Elinor Kernohan, no report
- Yearbook: Melanie sent a special thanks to Anne Brown and Rich Hevesi for their work on the Yearbook.
- Memberships: Nancy Garbutt, Memberships purchased to date: 43, Attendance : 46
- UPCOMING SHOWS:Southern Ontario Orchid Show Feb. 8 – 9
Canada Blooms Mar 14-24
Peterborough Garden Show April 11-13Peterborough and Area Master Gardeners, garden tour June 21
- Through the OHA we are now covered by Cooperators Insurance
- SIRCH: Garden Buddy Program, They are looking for experienced vegetable gardeners to assist new gardeners.
- District 4 is selling Daylilies. $8.00, orders in by March 8, Nancy Garbutt, co-ordinator
- We received a thank you note from the Food Bank for our contribution. We donated money at a General Meeting last year, but missed the deadline for flood relief so the executive decided to make the food bank donation.
Village Green: Liz Case reported that an application has been made for a $500.00 grant through OHA to assist with the Village Green project The Master Gardeners will submit their plans to the Hort. executive this spring.
A reminder: the March and April meetings are at 1:00 p.m.
The July meeting would fall on July 1st. Nancy Garbutt made a motion that the July meeting be moved from the first Tuesday (July 1st) to the second Tuesday (July 8th), seconded by Bob MacBrien.
District 4 Representative, Carol Mitchell, was unable to attend our meeting due to the snow storm.
The meeting was adjourned by Bob MacBrien at 2:45 p.m. Rose drew birthdates and gave away the centrepieces to the persons with the closest birthdates.