MINDEN & DISTRICT HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
OCTOBER 1,2013, MINDEN COMMUNITY CENTRE, MINDEN, ONTARIO
President: Liz Case
Secretary: Margaret Giles
Chairperson: Barb Millington
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Barb Millington. Barb welcomed everyone and explained that Liz is in Peterborough with her husband Nick, who is in hospital.
Master Gardeners – Milka Hider spoke on Cooking with Herbs. She included the care and drying methods she used. The talk will be on the Master Gardener’s Website.
Speaker: Anne Barbour
Field Naturalist, outlined her involvement with the City of Kawartha Lakes (CKL) Project.
Business Meeting was called to order at 8:35 pm
- MINUTES of the Sept. 3rd meeting were presented by Margaret Giles. Moved by Margaret and seconded by Rose Paliwoda that the minutes be accepted as distributed. CARRIED
- FINANCIAL REPORT was presented by Karen Shirley. Currant Account Balance as of Sept.30th, 2013, $1254.27, less o/s cheques of $568.25 & $20.62, brings bank balance to $665.40. GIC $2115.18. Moved by Karen, seconded by Marg Chambers that the report be accepted as read. CARRIED
- FUND RAISING, CAMASSIA BULBS – Barb – bulbs are being picked up this week, people will be notified as soon as they arrive
- COMMITTEE REPORTS:
GARDEN TOUR – The tour will continue next year – the date is to be determined
YOUTH PROGRAM – Rose – no report
FLOWER SHOW – Meeting will be held to plan for next year, new folks are welcome
MEMBERSHIP – 98 and holding
ATTENDANCE & DOOR PRIZE – Anna Schuster – Attendance 34, Door prize winner – Barb Millington
COMMUNITY GARDENING & VILLAGE GREEN – Anne Brown – copy attached to minutes
LIBRARY – Izabel – no report
MASTER GARDENERS – Village Green project is ongoing – no report as yet
- TEE SHIRTS –Elinor – 1 XL, 2 L T-Shirts for sale
- CARDS – Elinor – Cards were sent to Audrey North and Elizabeth Carrell ( Bill is now in Lindsay), a card will be sent to Nick Case
- UPCOMING EVENTS:
OHA District 4 Fall Seminar, Sat. Oct.26th at Cramahe, Oct. 18th is the deadline for registration. Barb Millington has the details for the competitions. Anyone can enter, you do not have to attend the Seminar.
- CORRESPONDENCE: Letter from Janette Loveys, Township, advising that she is leaving the Township Oct.4,2013
Letter from Linda Pentney, thanking all who have helped her with the Village Green and advising that for health reasons she is no longer able to care for the area.
- OTHER BUSINESS:
Cynthia Gilmore would like some suggestions for Speakers for next year. Cynthia needs help with this job and would like to have a co-person to assist.
Volunteers Hours: Please remember to turn in your volunteer hours at the AGM in November.
Donation – Our society received a $200.00 donation from Omemee Horticultural Society to help replace the plants destroyed in the flood.
Rose – Elections next month. We are still in need of several directors.
- Meeting was adjourned at 9:15 pm by MJ Irwin